Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Some great advice from a Tico

(Note: the term Tico or Tica refers to a person from Costa Rica)

After returning from a mission trip in Costa Rica, I have kept in contact with many of my friends from there. One of them in particular I have been messaging, and he, as a Christian man, shared with me some great things. He is not perfect; none of us are, and he has had his share of problems with a relationship he once had, but he has gained much wisdom from it.

1. There are two great questions that you can ask yourself before diving into a relationship. The first is, "Is it God's time for me to be having a relationship?" The second is, "Am I glorifying Him by having this relationship?" I recently tried having a relationship with someone around the time the mission trip happened, and when I returned something felt off in the relationship because of the changes that had occurred in my heart. When I read these questions that the Tico wrote to me, I realized that no, it's not God's time for me to have a relationship, and no, I wasn't exactly glorifying God by having the relationship. We weren't doing anything extreme by any means, but it wasn't bringing God glory like it should have been. So, I am waiting some more, and still pursuing God steadfastly.

2. Proverbs 4:23 = "Guard your heart, for it is the wellspring of life." Another translation reads, "Keep thy heart with all diligence, for out of it are the issues of life." The heart can be a tricky thing, and it is very important to be careful so that you aren't hurting yourself! Keeping a pure heart is one of the best things you can do for yourself and your future/current husband. Along those lines, the Tico I have been talking to writes that he is trying to keep his heart healthy and neat for his wife, which is a huge reason why he does not have a girlfriend at this time. He admits that sometimes it is extremely difficult to be without a girlfriend, but that with God he is able to resist and keep moving on until God places the right woman in his life.

3. To quote this Tico, "Remember that you are a princess and there is just one Prince for you." Another great question to consider is who you are going to give your heart to. I wouldn't want to give my heart to someone that I'm not going to be with for the rest of my life! I've tried that before, and not only is it not worth it, not only does it not make much sense, but it can hurt! One of the leaders of Student Ministries at my church once said, "I want to be wholly holy, not holey." Meaning, it's better to keep your heart intact until the right person comes along, and then make sure to be careful and keep careful watch over your heart. It is one of the biggest treasures you have to give. Give it to God first, and then keep it safe for your future/current husband!

One great thing about many of the Christian guys I met in Costa Rica is that they recognize that we, as women, seriously are princesses! I can't count the number of times I have fondly been called "princess" in conversation. It's the truth! We are the precious daughters of a Holy King! Never forget this!

No comments:

Post a Comment